SEO Blog - Internet marketing news and views

Sour grapes and my wrath

Written by David Harry
Monday, 31 March 2008 10:48

Ok, so someone was making a bit of a hoop-la about Guy Kawasaki’s new aggregator site; allTop (hee hee Hiya K). I went over to have a look and well…. seeing the ‘SEO Category’ - some problems with it jump right out at me;

wah wah wah

1. I am not on it, let’s get that out of the way…major problem (bwaha ha haha, but seriously :)
  2. Matt Cutts? When is the last time that guy wrote consistently about SEO? Whaaaa?
  3. ShoeMoney? How’d he get in there? He even says he doesn’t know a ton about SEO.
  4. John Batelle? Whaaaaaa?? I have him in my reader…mini-posts, not much search, never mind SEO.
  5. ThreadWatcher? Last post August of 2007?
  6. Performancing…erm… love em, but not a lot of SEO stuff.
  7. SEO Contest 2008 ?? Nuff said
  8. Cross-over – there is a lot of PPC/SEM/SMM cross-over. It does say SEO there (yeah being picky). Make separate categories or rename this one.
  9. …..and of course,once again… I am not on it , but more importantly neither are other actual quality folks like Michael Martinez, Weip Knoll, Debra Mastaler, Jill Whalen…U get the idea... I'd trade in some of the above for those fine folks.(now added see below)

My point is that while some of them are debate-able, there are omissions more worthy than some of those on the list. So while it is a nice list there Guy, I’d be looking at a few of the suspect choices as it comes off as the usual popularity contest more than a true desire to deliver quality resources. Also, maybe re-name it to SEM if you want to keep the cross over stuff, it simply muddies things more than they are already. Pffffttt!! I guess I will just have to come up with my own list then …so there. Gonna take my marbles and go home…waaaaaaaahhhh…(or maybe not since Guy is so accomodating ;0)

hee hee...*sigh* …. Just my 2 cents on a Monday morning.

ADDED: Ok, seems someone passed my sour whine out to the web-o-sphere and Guy has graciously given in to my nag. Thanks Guy for adding some more of our great minds (above) and even considering this rider for inclusion in the posse :0)  --- Trail Badge Added, but I still get to wine

Comments

0 # Guy Kawasaki 2008-03-31 18:06
Look again.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Dave 2008-03-31 19:19
lol - thanks for dropping by Guy. It is hard to cull SEO from the rest of the Search Marketing herd, even I stray from the course. Thanks for adding those true search minds and allowing me to play in the valley of greatness - It was truly tongue in cheek on my own nomination.

Still wonder about Ol Jeremy, does he even write about SEO? lol... there I go again...

Thanks for the consideration and best of luck with the rest... I shall try the site out next time I am researching a niche... see how it flies :silly:

Dave
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Kalena 2008-04-01 02:51
Well it seems Guy reads your blog too :-)
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Dave 2008-04-01 08:39
reads it? hee hee unlikely - but that's some great buzz monitoring; Top marks there :0)
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Jaan Kanellis 2008-04-01 16:38
:sad: :sad:

What about me the green face?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # debra mastaler 2008-04-02 12:15
Thank you David for shouting out my name.

:-)
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Dave 2008-04-02 12:41
@ Jaan - srry mate - I was merely lamenting over some inclusions and omissions randomly. I had no idea Guy was a Buzz Monitor Maven and would show up an hour later... those fine folks were the ones that came to mind... lol... want me to stick U in my BLog Roll? Sure, it ain't the big leagues, but we love ya!

@ Deb - thank U for all the fine work - makes it easy (plus I thought link builders were under-represented)
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Jaan Kanellis 2008-04-02 12:51
LOL, just giving you a hard time Dave, LOL
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Dave 2008-04-02 13:01
@ jaan - well too late now. I was already procrastinating on updating my 'blog roll' - so now look in the right colum for 'Great Destinations' - U R in the ever-so-prestigous 'Friends' category - :woohoo:

lol - its the least we can do ...ha ha ha... been a few years ya know...
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Wiep 2008-04-02 13:22
Wow Dave, thanks for making Guy include me :lol:

I do agree with you that, if seo.alltop.com really wants to be All Top, some of the listed websites (probably including mine) should be removed...
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

0 # Dave 2008-04-02 13:30
Making him? Lol... yeah Wiepz I went over there wid m'thugs bro!! :woohoo:

But yes, there is the usual SEM/SEO cross over issues at very least but you and your fellow linkers deserve a place IMO - thus 2 of my first thoughts were to that end.

I have Guy on my Twitter thang now...I can get U removed if U want... hee hee...

As with Deb... keep up the great work man!
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

Security code
Refresh

Search the Site

SEO Training

Tools of the Trade

Banner
Banner
Banner

On Twitter

Site Designed by Verve Developments.