SEO Blog - Internet marketing news and views

Please welcome our new SEO overlord

Written by David Harry
Thursday, 10 April 2008 08:48

Jason Gambert to police the SEO industry single-handed.

Oh my fine peeps… we’ve heard from the dude that wants to trademark the term ‘SEO’ – have a read; Dear SEO Community. -- (more on the situation at SEOmoz)

So let me get this straight… this friggen’ genius wants to trademark ‘SEO’ so he can force people to operate as he sees fit? And he has decided that ‘SEOmo, WebPro News, Search Engine Watch'  should set guidelines? Or else what? He will tell them that they can’t use the term SEO?

Listen, it is great that he is so seemingly concerned for our industry that he wants to be our over-lord – but this all smacks of some serious bullshit. Who the hell is this turkey anyways? Anyone happen to know? I want less reputable providers out of the community and I have no problem talking about standards… but to have this guy TELLING me who can use it and when we should create standards is simply a pile of steaming bull droppings… bite me ol chap! Does this guy work for Google or what…?

So what say you my peeps? Do you welcome our new overlord?

Comments

-1 # Guest 2008-04-10 15:16
He can try if he wants

not sure if you recal this story but man did it make me laugh at the time (edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/07/02/australia.wheel/)

weeee.... :silly:

-1 # Garrett Pierson 2008-04-10 20:57
To Jason,

We appreciate your concern about us as an SEO community but much like our current government failing us, we don't need your politics.

-1 # Dave 2008-04-10 21:03
lol... thanks, that is a good one.

0 # Dave 2008-04-10 21:06
This does have to go down as one of the stranger stories from this year so far....

Can't wait to see how it turns out...should start brainstorming new acronyms of what?

0 # James Duthie 2008-04-10 21:49
I gotta say... I sorta admire this guy for the almighty set of kahuna's he possesses. Doesn't so smart though... If there's one community I wouldn't want to piss off it's the SEO community. Can I smell defamatory Google Bomb brewing...?

+1 # Screw It! 2008-04-11 17:21
Forget Obama, Jason Gambert for president! They both apeared out of nowhere!

I love this guy, we need a face figure! I hope he sets it up like a democracy and we can all vote etc! That would be the coolest thing that has ever happened in the internet world.

:woohoo:

0 # Dave 2008-04-11 17:49
I am simply excited about creating a new acronym and then Google bombing this guy and turning SEO into a dirty word... aaahhh crap, it already is ain't it?

Wonder what we can call it next?

Search Marketing Technician?
Organic Search Marketing

Organic Optimization Promotion Specialist? OOPS fer short?

-1 # Eric B 2008-04-11 21:29
This guy is an absolute idiot. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that he will be able to succeed, and it's not shocking enough for him to get any serious publicity.

+1 # Pros and the Cons 2008-04-13 19:41
Pros and the Cons
Doubters and haters
Black hats and white hats
Seems like this guy is drawing the line, anyone who opposes must have something to hide... I'm not against the standards, neither is John Clay, Danny Sullivan, etc.
Sounds like people who call him an idiot are just scared of the facts.

-1 # Dave 2008-04-13 19:52
Not sure what that has to do with anything. The discussions surrounding standards has gone on for 10 years... how a person with no standing in the community believes they can dictate when it will happen, and whom is going to be involved is pure foolishness.

IMO he merely added that into the mix as it is a hot button issue. No where in the filings are there any mention of this being about standards... that's a late addition on his blog.

Trying to trademark SEO is about $$$$.... that's it. The rest is a pile of crap... plain and simple. He doesn't care about me nor SEO... which is my passion... his is $$$.

+1 # Have You Tried To Contact Him? 2008-04-14 04:21
How do you know he doesn't care, if he says it is for everyone? Have any of you tried contacting him? It sounds like he wants to hear from the community that "SEO" is their passion...

Just a thought,

B)

-1 # Guest 2008-04-14 07:47
yeah, and when I/we contact him what do we say?

"Thank you dear overlord, what is thy bidding?"

The appropriate response has been taken and disagreement with the TM application has been filed. That is the only communication we in the SEO community need. Did he contact us when making the application? Did he publisize his application? No.... it was all a sneaky little game and he has been discovered. This is NOT about caring for the community... or this individual would have been doing so prior to this and we'd all know him as someone that cares ( U know, like Danny)... this is about $$$... make no mistake.

Think about someone trying to trademark the term 'Autobody' or 'Transmission' and then telling all the mechanics in the world that they can't use the term in their advertising unless they conform to their guidelines... yeah... whatever... idiot.

You say, 'he wants to hear from the community' --- once again, I don't know what U do for a living, but imagine ONE individual trying to tell your entire industry what to do. Not the government, not an industry association, not a respected member of the community...just a guy U'd never heard of...uh-huh...

This is about $$... plain and simple. So he heard from us... Google his name...plenty of responses out there for him :evil:

+1 # Janeth 2008-04-14 09:12
I thought it was a pretty good move. Everyone in the SEO community knows who he is and if it works he gets to run the show.

I am going after SMO myself.

So be nice.

-1 # Dave 2008-04-14 09:26
SMO? Have U trademarked it? Better get on it... he he....

0 # Neo 2008-04-15 01:19
Everyone knows the old devils advocate.... We need to get over our fear, if it isn't him (Who is on our side) it will be Walmart etc. I agree with everything you say, accept the Devil. LOL

SEO Standards Signal the Maturing of Our Industry

-1 # Mel 2008-04-24 20:51
Will someone please tell me what sort of guidelines you could draw up which would cover all possible contingencies?

Even if you accept that this guys motives are pure as the driven snow (and I do not for one minute think this true) the only advantage to be gained in trademarking a generic term is $$$

-1 # Mel 2008-04-24 20:55
Quick get out the application forms and the lawyers I want to trademark the acronym SEA - Search Engine Advertising since it seems that the only requirement for a trademark is that you use the term on your site.

By the way it seems like the posts to this guys blog are either being blocked or... since the last posting is a week ago and I know that my post there is not yet visible

Security code
Refresh

Search the Site

SEO Training

Tools of the Trade

Banner
Banner
Banner

On Twitter

Site Designed by Verve Developments.